Fear is an ancient human emotion that has allowed us to survive for thousands of years. After all, it was fear that made the first people avoid danger and inevitable extinction. But in modern life, we can be scared of many things: death, darkness, ducks, water, heights, and hundreds of other phobias. And there’s the megalophobia – fear of large objects.
Try thinking of something huge like cruise ships, skyscrapers, giant underwater structures, animals, or statues, for example. Now imagine that you’re standing right beside them – just a tiny human. If this scenario gives you goosebumps and makes you shiver, you may have signs of megalophobia. Let’s take a look at the most incredible photos that will likely evoke that overwhelming feeling inside of you.
1. Here’s the statue of the mythical Celtic water horse Kelpie during a thunderstorm.
2. Contrary to what this scene may look like, it’s actually not two photos, but one.
3. When it comes to dams, it’s always awe-inspiring how human ingenuity was able to construct such marvels.
4. Japanese spider crabs can really haunt your dreams even if you don’t have megalophobia.
5. Astronaut Bruce McCandless II flies away from the Space Shuttle with no safety tether other than a manned maneuvering unit. Bruce was the first person in history to do this dangerous trick.
6. Every child knows that whales are big animals, but it hits you differently when you can compare it to a more reasonably-sized creature.
7. This little dark spot is Mercury, and the big chungus behind it is our lovely Sun.
8. Have you ever heard of Nyoirin Kannon? Well this is her satatue in all its glory. It’s the tallest one in Japan.
9. You just know there’s a giant sleeping under that mountain. It wouldn’t be Scottland otherwise!
10. Hollow tunnels in Tokyo. These massive chambers are saving lives every year.
11. Just a teensy little town on the precipice of a diamond mine.
12. Skin-crawling sculpture by Italian sculptor Lorenzo Quinn!
13. Norwegian oil rig platform “Troll-A” is the largest movable object created by humans.
14. You rarely see or hear about colossal statues in Africa, but this one’s the tallest.
15. Just a herd of giraffes galloping under the railway bridge in Nairobi National Park, Kenya.
16. The legendary golden Buddha is definitely too big.
17. The oldest and most tremendous tree East of the Mississippi – the Angel oak.
18. Here’s what 40 ft of snow looked like in 1966.
19. Even if you don’t have megalophobia, these huge face balloons will still make you uncomfortable.
20. And lastly, here’s something straight out of a horror game – a monstrous cave!